Sunday, July 1, 2012

Button down shirt to skirt refashion


Today was a nice lazy Sunday, a church day.  I did nothing today as far as "work" but yesterday I threw together a new skirt made from this XL man's button up shirt.  I started by cutting straight across from armpit to armpit (don't you just hate that word, "armpit"?  It sounds so gross!)  Maybe I should say "sleeve."


And cutting from the bottom straight up.  Then I folded down the top and sewed it to make a casing for elastic.  I also cut off the bottom to make an even hemline, then hemmed it.  Measure the elastic to fit around your waist, then thread it through the casing, sew the two ends together and voila'!  You have a skirt!  To me, skirts are so much more comfy than shorts or even yoga pants, especially when it's 113 degrees outside.  This shirt cost me $1 at Goodwill so I now have a $1 skirt.  Or should I say a skirt for $1?  Either way I think it was a bargain.



made in a dayhomework
pleated poppy










6 comments:

  1. Wow! that is awesome! haha So creative and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smart my dear...looking gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another awesome recycle! They must love you at the thrift store. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been saving a few of my husband's shirts so that I can make a skirt. Thanks for the inspiration to actually get off my butt and make one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Very cool! Great job and super cute skirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! What a great idea. I wish I could sew so I could do fun things like that.

    ReplyDelete