Sunday, June 24, 2012

Raise your hand if you've ever sliced your hand open on a trowel.

Raise your hand if you've ever sliced your hand open with a trowel.  Well, not so much your hand but your thumb.  But hand just sounds so much worse.  And not so much sliced as in a paper cut type cut.  Not so much a cut as a graze.  But see how bad it could have been!  It could have been a calamity!  But it's all good at the Nutshell household, especially now that my breakfast bar is complete that I started two months ago!  Not that it took me that long, just that it sat unfinished for two months.  Then today I finally got around to mortoring (is that a word?) the tiles down, and grouted it and trimmed it out.



This is what it looked like before.  In fact, before I even moved in.  I no longer have carpet or those white tiles in the kitchen.



I started out by measuring the opening and having Home Depot cut me a piece of 3/4" plywood to the size I wanted.  Since I was going to tile it with 18" tiles, I made it 18" deep, so had the wood cut to 18".  Then I found a video here to teach me how to make the brackets.  Very easy. 


I nailed the plywood on the wall in several places across the opening, then made three brackets for support.  I "buttered" the back of each tile with adhesive.  I used pre-mixed.


This is where the trowel comes into play. 


The trowel is the one on the right and the one on the left is a float.  And a sponge.  So after buttering the back of the tile you lay it where you want it and press down.  You do that with each tile until they're all layed.  (Or is it laid?)   Then you have to wait overnight for the adhesive to dry.  Once it's dry you can add your trim.  I used a mitre saw to mitre the corners.


Then you can grout. Again I used pre-mixed. For a project this small it's just simpler and cheaper. You use the float to push the grout into all the lines between the tiles and between the tiles and the trim.






Then you use the big sponge to wipe all the excess grout off. 




I still need to fill the nail holes and either paint or stain the trim but I'm so happy with how it's turned out.  Oh, and you see the bar stool I made here.  I need two more.  What do you think?  Please don't look at the door which I've been using as my work surface, or the cereal boxes on top of the refrigerator, or any other mess you might spy with your little eye.



I linked up to:

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating



UndertheTableandDreaming

Making your home sing Mondays
BWS tips button


homework


DIY Show Off





















6 comments:

  1. So glad you've survived the trowel! Makes enjoying the work you've done much easier. Wow, what a transformation of your room. That would be so rewarding. I love seeing people get in there and create the place of their dreams. Thanks for coming by Quirky Vistas to comment. It is always appreciated. And congratulations on your 60 day accomplishment too! That is huge and worth celebrating!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post,blogger ! I really appreciate the post.
    Carpet tiles perth

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should call it the trowel mishap of 2012! Love your breakfast bar and can't wait to see your new white cabinets!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! This is just so awesome! I repinned it because the original pin only takes me to your main blog page, and someday I wouldn't be able to find it without scrolling through page after page of your blog.

    This way, my pin will be attached to this page only and I won't have to look for it, lol!

    This is made of awesome. I love how you are transforming your home and you're doing it yourself. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I would never have the guts or the energy to make my own breakfast bar. You go girl! Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your breakfast bar looks fabulous! Kudos to you to taking on such a project. Thank you for sharing this at our Summer BBQ Bash!

    ReplyDelete