Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pallet Kitchen Island

 I've mentioned before how much I like making things from nothing, like clothes from yukky clothes, art from wood scraps, and this kitchen island from pallets!  This is the finished product, and I'm going to show you the steps I went through to build it.  It's not perfect by any means, but it's perfect for me.

Determine what size you want your island and cut those lengths and nail together

Determine the height you want it and cut your legs and attach.  I subtracted for casters and the top.

Add two cross braces, one on each end.


Add casters, if using

Flip over and this is your frame

Because I didn't have boards long enough, I added the only two I did have
to the length, like this.

Then I cut pallet boards the width of the island for the bottom shelf.

The top is the only part of the island not made from pallets.  I didn't have any boards the
size I needed to make the top, plus I was planning to tile it so needed
a solid surface.  I attached plywood cut to the desired size.
I wanted an overhang for a breakfast bar so made it
wider than the frame itself.



I added mitred 1"x2"s for the edges.


And attached it with nails

I added tile, surrounded by mosaic for visual interest.
I used premixed mortar to attach it.


Then used pre-mixed grout


Painted the wood and voila'!















I love the rough look of the island.  Eventually I'll be painting my cabinets in a coordinating color and adding tile of some sort to my counter tops.  It's a slow process but eventually it will be beautiful.  I love my new island.


I was featured at:


Photobucket
Too Much Time On My Hands


I linked up to:Today's Creative BlogReasons To Skip The Housework
ThriftyThursdayModernButton1 Thrifty Thursday Week 79
homework
Beyond The Picket Fence
Photobucket

Happy Go Lucky
Photobucket
The Shabby Nest
My Turn For Us
A Little Knick Knack

Weekend Bloggy Reading
Too Much Time On My HandsBWS tips button













































>









14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. How do you even know how to do this????? (said in a whiny voice) Seriously, I love that you did this yourself and it is gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Love how simple yet very pretty your island is. The tiled top looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out awesome! I want to make one! My dad has tons of extra tile lying around. This would be great. Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

    Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea, what a great way to extend your counter space. I love the rustic look but the mosaic tile on top is my favorite:) Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic job!! Looks great and the kitty looks like it likes it too! :) Thank you so much for sharing at Uncommon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I've never seen a pallet kitchen island before and yours came out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm visiting from Freedom Fridays. I love your island; it turned out too cute! You did a great job.

    Carolyn
    {my simple messterpiece}

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out amazingly, love it! Thanks for sharing with me on Delicately Constructed Friday! I am a new follower!
    Hope you are having a great day
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks awesome! I love the tile feature and the whole thing turned out great. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, WOW! That is super impressive! I can't imagine actually building my own furniture, let alone having it turn out this gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your island, great tute! thanks for linking back to MRL in your post!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE THIS!!! This was a "why didn't I think of that" moment, I'll tell ya! Would love to try and make this - have been wanting an island since FOREVA! and this one just fits the bill.
    Thanks for the inspiration -
    Barbara in TN

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great pallet island! Would you consider adding it to the July craft challenge over at dragonflies-at-daw.blogspot.com?

    ReplyDelete