Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Skin Cancer and Aspirin

I'll warn you now, this will contain photos that may be hard to look at.  If you have a queasy tummy, you don't want to see it.  Two years ago I was diagnosed with Melanoma.  Luckily my dermatologist caught it before it became malignant.  Then one year ago I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  Now I'm seeing a dermatologist regularly, expecting to hit the tri-fecta someday and get Basal Cell Carcinoma, but so far, no. 

Anyway, World News tonight with Diane Sawyer did a story on Aspirin helping to prevent both Melanoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  Are you serious?  They say you need to take a small dose, daily, for three years before you see the benefits, but most of us take a baby aspirin anyway, don't we?  I do, at my doctor's suggestion.  But that just started two years ago.  In fact, while I was going through the Melanoma cancer incident, it was found that I have a very minor heart issue, so was told to start taking the aspirin.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/aspirin-reduces-skin-cancer-risk-16453970


Now, here comes the upsetting pictures: 


This is just after the "Mohs" surgery removing the Melanoma
This is 3 weeks after skin graft surgery.  They grafted skin from my upper thigh.
This is after Mohs surgery on my scalp to remove Squamous Cell Carcinoma
And this was a couples weeks later.  Now I have a nice bald spot.
So, the bottom line?  Please us SPF 30 or higher, or just stay out of the sun.  I spent many years tanning both on the beach and in tanning beds, and I've sure paid the price.  I love a beautiful suntan, but it's just not worth it.

1 comment:

  1. You poor thing! What an important reminder...
    Blessings,
    Lina

    ReplyDelete